Searching for Sunday
I don't know if it helped me in that at all. I think it was meant to show me the beauty of the church, and there were definite glimpses. But Rachel described to me the indescribable: the mysterious beauty of Jesus Christ and the person he could be to me. She made me want to love Jesus again.
Searching for Sunday is formatted into seven parts--seven sacraments:
- Baptism: the church tells us we are beloved
- Confession: the church tells us we are broken
- Holy Orders: the church tells us we are commissioned
- Communion: the church feeds us
- Confirmation: the church welcomes us
- Anointing the Sick: the church anoints us
- Marriage: the church unites us
(Evans, Rachel Held. Searching for Sunday. Nelson Books: Nashville. 2015. p.xvii)
I expect I'll be coming back to this book over and over again in the years or--Lord willing--decades to come. When I find myself floundering, lost, and falling away, Rachel may have found the words to prop me back up on my feet again.
For more information on Searching for Sunday by Rachel Held Evans, visit our website here.